Thursday 29 March 2012


Here i created a video using Adobe Premiere Pro to document my answer to this question in a more visually stimulating way.


In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

When creating my magazine I tried to adhere to the typical features shown in music magazines of the genre indie rock. I used my similar product research and also my key concepts presentation to gather information on other magazines, particularly NME and Kerrang. After closely studying these magazines, I gathered enough knowledge on the design of indie rock magazines to create my own that maintains to appear professional and appealing to the target audience of the ages 16-34.
                I wanted to make my magazine stand out from others on the shelf, I felt I could achieve this by creating a bold and elaborate Masthead. I created the Masthead to look battered and rough; I did this by using a font that looks as if it has been spray painted. This is because displays my magazine to be risky and dangerous, indicating the content will also follow that theme therefore will be an interesting read. This is the type of magazine that will appeal to my target audience as they will enjoy reading about rebellious characters and engaging in exciting stories. However, I used the colour black to reflect the sophistication of the magazine.
                For my main sell line I created a font by using bold white letters and placing them on larger black rectangles. I arranged them in a scattered fashion across the middle of the page. This gives my magazine a careless and unorganised appearance, appealing to my younger target audience who will personally identify with resistance against organisation. I placed a banner across the bottom of the page that reads: “WIN FREE TICKETS TO READING 2012”. Reader’s will be aware that ‘READING’ is a popular indie rock music festival and will help to appeal my magazine to an audience who enjoy that genre of music.
                My contents page also conforms to the typical conventions of indie rock magazines like NME as I have created a ‘BAND INDEX’ on the left hand side of the page, mentioning twenty seven different indie rock bands/artists and the pages they can be found on. This will appeal to my target audience as it will allow them to skim through which bands and artists are inside this week’s issue and contemplate whether this magazine appeals to them or not. It makes my magazine seem more worthy of its money as the audience feel it is full of different articles and reviews on bands they enjoy. I have placed the ‘Facebook’ icon in the bottom right hand corner of the page, appealing to my younger readers who will be interested in social networking, allowing them to form even more of a personal relationship with the magazine. This helps to portray my magazine as more aware of the zeitgeist (spirit of the age).
                My double paged spreads continue to use the theme of black and dark red, reflecting the mood as exciting, dangerous and inspiring, forcing the reader to feel more involved in my interview with my feature artist ‘Alice Liberty’. On my first double page spread I have produced a fact file, again alike to the band index, allowing the audience to glance over information and decide whether my magazine, or in this case article, will appeal to them. In this fact file I have chosen each fact carefully to ensure it will appeal to the target audience. For example, I have chosen my feature artist’s location as ‘Camden Town’. This will have a personal identification with my target audience as in their spare time they will attend gigs in Camden and will enjoy the general busy environment and outrageous fashion there. I used Alice’s favourite band as the ‘Arctic Monkeys’ also, as this is a prime example of the type of band my target audience would be interested in. I have also displayed two contradictory images on my second double page spread in order to reflect the darker side of my cover model. This will appeal to my target audience as they will feel exhilarated by ruthless characters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment