Thursday 29 March 2012

How does your media product represent particular social groups?


I also created a video of the answer to this question, in order to present my ideas visually, including example and evidence of my research.


ANSWER TO QUESTION IN ESSAY FORM:
After closely studying my similar product research magazines, such as NME and Kerrang, I came to the conclusion that my target audience would have an interest in musical artists with characteristics such as being rebellious and unpredictable. For example, music artists I found my target audience to enjoy reading about were people like Pete Doherty, Amy Winehouse and Rolling stones. This is because of their rebellious take on life, leading to extreme circumstances and a generally exciting life. These characters would be shown in magazines such as NME smoking and drinking – highlighting their ‘don’t care’ attitudes. 
                I wanted to make my magazine appeal to the same audience as these magazines; because of this is chose to use a cover model that is young and attractive. Her dark hair conotates her dark side and the use of make-up, such as bright red lipstick and dark smoky eyes represents her confident and loud personality. This will instantly appeal to my target audience as the bright colours used for her clothing (e.g. her skinny jeans) and her make up will reflect her characteristics, implying she is an interesting person to read about.
                I have tried to make my magazine appeal to an audience who listen to rock music. I did this by using colours such as red, black and grey as a general house style as I found it was the most popular theme of colours used in other rock/indie magazines such as NME. The big bold fonts will also appeal to a social group with an interest in rock because it reflects the outrageousness of the music genre and how indifferent the genre is in general.
                I began my article with the sentence: “Everybody loves a rebel.” This is because it will have an instant impact on my target audience if they are scanning through my magazine. This type of language will stand out to them as they will have a sudden interest in who I am talking about. The general tone of my article is gossip-like and secretive. This helps to make my target audience feel the information they are reading is exclusive and makes them feel special as if they are the first to read it. This tone will also relate to my target audience as they will enjoy hearing gossip and secrets about rebellious music artists, forming a personal identification as they will aspire to be like them.
                My cover models facial expressions are generally cheeky, as she will slightly smile whilst gazing into the camera. This is effective as it will grasp the reader’s attention as they will be drawn to look at the page. This also creates a mysterious appearance for my feature artist, helping to sell the article further as the target audience will feel curious about her and want to read on. Her body language is dominant and confident, with poses such as her hand on her hip (shown on my second double paged spread) and her comfortable squat with relaxed arms (shown on my front cover). This will also appeal to my target audience as they will be able to form a personal relationship with the character, as my target audience will also be confident and outspoken.
                I wanted to portray my feature artist as intimidating, assertive but also approachable. This is because I wanted my target audience to feel slightly threatened by their confidence, as they would feel when reading about music artists such as Joan Jett. Especially because she is female, it touches the issue that males are most commonly associated with rock/indie music than females. This means that my magazine will inspire a female audience, making them want to read about a female rock artist that is successful, as they will be able to personally identify with her. And also surprise a male audience, as they will feel intrigued to read about a successful female rock artist and also will find her confidence and clear success attractive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment